Welcome to the Village Pump. This used by the Cyber Nations Wiki community mainly to discuss topics regarding technical issues, policies, and operations of the CN Wiki. If you add a topic and want to notify other users-feel free to use Template:Pumpnotice as a means to inform them via their user talk page. For a list of relatively active users see CN:USERS.
Added tidbit to CN:STYLE
I added the CN:LEAD section to the CN:STYLE policy. I pretty much just copied Wikipedia and their WP:LEAD but it makes sense and is easy enough to follow. Any thoughts, comments, concerns, complaints? — 03:12, June 7, 2014 (UTC)
- This makes sense and looks good to me. It is a good idea to incorporate this section. No complaints from me! J Andres (talk • contribs) 04:00, June 7, 2014 (UTC)
- I to am fine with this. -- Imperial Empire (talk • contribs) 06:21, June 7, 2014 (UTC)
- I'd have no gripes which this at all. As you are one of the most enthusiastic wiki editors here, I will trust your judgment and will offer my support for your idea. Franz Ferdinand, Conquerer of Micros (talk • contribs) 07:42, June 7, 2014
- Thanks, looks like I have a few things to update.--ScourgeNPO (talk • contribs) 20:01, June 7, 2014 (UTC)
- Looks good to me.
- Just adding to the chorus here, but good to have. I'll look into changing some of my intros when I have the time CloudSpirit (talk • contribs) 09:39, June 8, 2014 (UTC)
- Looks good. 16:09, June 8, 2014 (UTC)
- Be interesting to see if the Leads for all the alliance articles can be used for recruitment and other things. Be interesting to see where this leads. --Zeta Defender (talk • contribs) 08:56, June 11, 2014 (UTC)
- Well, that all depends on how it's written I suppose, keeping in mind articles aren't supposed to be biased or have nonfactual statements and other things which are covered under Other miscellaneous guidelines of CN:STYLE. For instance, many members of DBDC hold in-game records/awards so it's acceptable to state that they have many members who have in-game records/awards, because it's true. What the other misc guidelines is meant to curtail is obvious bias and nonfactual statements and such, like saying "GPA is the premier alliance in Cyber Nations" there's no backing there, nothing to support that. However, saying "GPA is the second highest alliance by nation strength" is acceptable, because you look at the Alliances page and GPA is right there at #2. Then there's other "non-controversial" type statements, like on the Sengoku page in the lead we have "Members of Sengoku consider themselves to be in large part a successor to the defunct Ordinary Men Fighting Giants and Basketball Ninjas alliance." Hope this helps Zeta. — 11:21, June 11, 2014 (UTC)
Alliances with multiple incarnations and the default alliance name
So, Gopherbashi initially brought up a good issue regarding Viridian Entente and Viridian Entente (2nd) on their respective talk pages; "Perhaps it's time that this article was just named "Viridian Entente", with a note at the top referring people to "Viridian Entente (1st)" if that's what they're looking for." I certainly agree with him that alliance names and acronyms should link to the most recent incarnation of the alliance since 99% of the time that's what people are looking for anyway.Especially since VE has been around in it's second incarnation since 2007... This begs the question of "Well, what are we going to do for a disambiguation page (sometimes just called a "dab" page) then? Well, glad you asked. Viridian Entente (disambiguation) isn't taken. And on the top of each alliance incarnation page we can have a little note (sometimes called a "hatnote") that says "For other incarnations of <alliance name>, see alliance (disambiguation)". It's relatively easy to see what needs to get done by sifting through Category:Alliances with multiple incarnations. Anyone have any better suggestions, ideas, questions, comments, complaints? — 20:38, June 25, 2014 (UTC)
- Sounds like a good plan. AWB could probably be used to move everything in Category:Alliances with multiple incarnations to a (disambiguation) page. Then, assuming you can make a custom list of pages to go through (it's been forever since I've used it), feed the most recent incarnation into it and have it both move it and insert a hatnote linking to the (1st) article. If there are alliances with more than two incarnations, at that point, it's probably worth the hatnote just linking to the (disambiguation) page. ~ vonPreuſ3en